8.31.2009

Memory Walk

This year, I am participating in my 5th Athens Memory Walk in order to raise money for Alzheimer's research. I am including a link to my personal page as well as a copy of the email I sent out to raise support. Any support is greatly appreciated; this is such an important cause.

The Link to My Page:
http://memorywalk09.kintera.org/athens/katherinelacy


Copy of the support Email:

Dear family and friends,


Once again the time has come for me to send you an email about the dire need to find a cure for Alzheimer's disease. Although my time as an active member of Sigma Kappa has ended, my dedication to this cause has not. This year, on October 17th, I will once again be participating in the Athens Memory Walk. This will be my 5th (and let's hope LAST) fall in Athens and I simply could not miss out on the opportunity to once again participate in such a wonderful event and to do my part to spread awareness about this disease. This years 3-mile walk/run hosted by the Alzheimer's Association will take place on October 17th at Southeast Clarke Park.

Alzheimer's Disease isn't something most people think about on a daily basis. Most people, especially those who are my age, think of Alzheimer's as "an old person's disease" and give it very little thought past that. What most people don't know however is that there are currently 5.3 million Americans living with Alzheimer's. And what's more, there are 78 MILLION baby boomers approaching the age of greatest risk for developing this fatal disease. There is NO cure. The time to act is NOW.

The Alzheimer's Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care, support and research. The funds I raise will go directly toward supporting their efforts. Over the past 4 years I have raised over $5,000.00, all of which went directly to support of those living with Alzheimer's, awareness about the disease, and most importantly research for a cure. My part is easy, I get up early one Saturday and get to run 3 miles with 100 other people who are as devoted to ending this disease as I am. But without you, all the miles mean nothing. I need your help. We need a cure.

I know that times are tough and purse strings are tight, but I remain optimistic that people will donate any amount of money - no amount is too small - to sponsor me this year. Alzheimer's awareness is very important to me and I wouldn't ask for your help if I wasn't desperate for cure. I don't want anymore American's to have to deal with the heartbreak of being unrecognizable by their own parent. I want to live in a world that is Alzheimer's free.

If you would like to donate as one of my sponsors please click the link below to donate online. If you are not comfortable with online donation please feel free to send a check made out to Alzheimer's Association to


Katherine Lacy

230 Katydid Dr.

Athens, Ga 30601


The link to my page is:

http://memorywalk09.kintera.org/athens/katherinelacy


Please note that all donations are tax deductible.

Also, if you find yourself unable to make a donation I ask that you would pledge to pray for me, as well as all the other runners, and for the doctors who are searching tirelessly for a cure.


Thank you in advance.

Katherine Lacy

No comments:

Post a Comment